My Blog List

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Travel Swap

Travel Swap, sounds kind of kinky, but it's not!

I belong to the FVMQG (Fraser Valley Modern Quilters Guild), and I participated in a "travel swap" with the Vancouver Guild wherein I received a name of a fellow quilter and made her a travel item, and she did the same.

I have posted prior the wonderful travel sewing kit I received, and now I want to share with you the one I made her.  It was sent some time ago, but unfortunately I don't know if she ever received it or even liked it.

But, I can wait no longer to share, so here it is.

Her fabric colors she likes are green & purple.  She said she travels a lot and could use something to hold her toiletries, so I made her:



close up of the top fabric for the front of the bag
The colors of fabrics and thread she likes (green, and purple).

This fabric I purchased is from V&A Garthwaite (Victoria and Albert Museum), London for Rowan Wesminster Fibers, and Kona solid.

I fell in love with this fabric and sure hope my travel swap partner liked it.


I have sandwiched the fabic for the top/outside of the bag and are now trying to quilt it.  I wanted to do a simple "diamond" shape, as I don't want it to fight with the fabric, which already has a lot going on in it.



Quilting finished - aleast in one direction.


creating my diamonds




I put little strips of "post it' notes on the bottom of my foot, so it would not stick to the clear vinyl (okay this is very tricky to sew, not my favorite at all). 


Yahoo, the zipper is added to the clear vinyl toiletries part, this was not easy, the vinyl kept sticking to my sewing machine.  

 Creating the inside pouches.  I used the solid purple kona (sorry I forgot to get the actual color name), and I started to create the top pouch which would be zippered for small garments (bras, panties,nylons etc.  I added the hanger at the top, and created the elastic type pocket at the bottom for other items to be put away.


Eastic is added to the bottom pouch, and the vinyl centre zippered pouch is now added.



I've now sewn the two (front and back together), have now used binding to trim the edge, and am just about finished sewing on the binding.  I added a new toothbrush and toothpaste (small travel size).


I added two straps to the front of the bag, that will be used to close bag for travelling.

Pull tabs on the zippers



top of bag pinned to my design wall.  


Toiletries Travel Bag - folded overlapping and tied for security.

This was an great project to do.  I designed the bag and made it as I went along.  So it was most probably more time consuming to create, but I loved doing it for my partner in the Travel Swap and hope she likes it too.

Happy Travelling Karen.

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment